Inspection report for Ft. Lincoln, Bismarck, ND, 1945

On October 24-25, 1945, Ft. Lincoln was inspected by Dr. Rudolph Fischer, Swiss Legation representative, and Van Arsdale Turner, Department of State. Activated in 1942 as an internment camp for civilians of Japanese ethnicity, it later became exclusively a camp for German American and Latin American civilians until February 1945. At the time of this report, the facilities again housed mostly Japanese, as German internees were being repatriated/deported/moved to other camps.  A list of basic clothing issued and a menu for the Germans still there is included. NARA, RG 59, State Dept, Special War Problems Division, Entry 1352, Inspection Reports, 1942-1946, Box 20, Folder “Lincoln.”