Ft. Meade, Maryland censuses now available
Ft. George G. Meade was a US Army military post located southwest of Baltimore in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It apparently served primarily as a temporary detention site for German, Italian and some Japanese internees before they shipped to other locations. A group of German seamen were transferred there from Camp Upton, New York, in April 1942, joining resident aliens from the U.S. Censuses of September and October, 1942. In 1943 civilian internees were all transferred, and the facility housed prisoners-of-war.